Musk Dragged to Court Over Plan To Sack Workers

0
Elon Musk

CEM REPORT, MEDIA | Since its acquisition, several backs and forths have trailed Elon Musk’s plan to grow and strengthen the social media firm.

His latest move to lay off about 3,700 of the firm’s employees has instigated a court battle.

Employees dragged the firm to court upon receiving an email which said they would be informed of their employment status at 9 A.M. PT on Friday.

The email details that “if an employee is keeping their job, they’ll be notified via their work email and if they’re let go, they’ll be notified at a personal address. “

The employees are kicking against the move holding on to the U.S. Federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act which restricts large companies from mounting mass layoffs without at least 60 days of advance notice.

The workers contend that the company is doing this without giving enough notice, thus violating federal and California labour laws.

The lawsuit by Twitter employees is asking the court to issue an order requiring Twitter to obey the WARN Act and restrict the company from soliciting employees to sign documents that could give up their right to participate in litigation.

Commenting on the lawsuit in an interview, Shannon Liss-Riordan, the attorney who filed the complaint, said:

“We filed this lawsuit tonight in an attempt to make sure that employees are aware that they should not sign away their rights and that they have an avenue for pursuing their rights.” 

Elon Musk upon completion of the $44 billion acquisition of Twitter last week, dissolved the board of Twitter as he assumed the role of CEO upon firing CEO Parag Agrawal and other top executive managers.

Musk has also introduced $8 monthly charges for Twitter verification

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments