MTN Revenue Drops Due to Blocked SIMs

0

CEM REPORT | Telecom giant MTN Nigeria, estimates it will lose nine percent of its revenue due to blocked SIM cards in complying with Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) regulation.

The regulation which made it compulsory for telecom companies to suspend outgoing calls of SIM cards not linked to National Identity Numbers (NIN).

MTN after complying with the regulation said the suspended lines contributed to nine percent of its total revenue in 2021 resulted from outgoing calls.

According to Premium Times, the telecom firm reported a revenue of N1.7 trillion in 2021.

MTN having the biggest chunk of Nigeria’s subscriber base, said at the end of March, 47 million of its subscribers had submitted their NINs, representing 67% of the company’s subscriber base.

[READ ALSO] NFIS: CBN Grants MTN Final Approval

It said that submitted NINs contributed 76 per cent to its total revenue in the 2021.

It made this known in a notice to its investors;

“Outgoing voice revenue from the current subscribers not linked to a NIN was approximately 9% of total service revenue for FY2021,” the notice said.

MTN further encourage subscribers who are yet to link to their NINs to do so as it has more enrolment centers across the country.

“The Company has deployed more than 4,200 points of enrolment across the country to support the NIN enrolment drive,” it added.

Recall that the federal government through NCC ordered suspension which took effect April 4, barred about 72 million lines from making calls.

The two-year-old directive from the federal government had been extended ten times. The government says it linking phones to National IDs will help address insecurity in the country.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments